Thursday, October 15, 2015

I need a new tablet

Grr... My 2 year old daughter got a hold of my Nexus 7 tablet, and it went tumbling down the stairs. Now it has a cracked screen. It still works, but I'm worried that either me or my daughter is going to cut their fingers on this thing. SO, it's time for a new one!

Instead of getting another $200 tablet and watching it get destroyed by my toddler, I'm planning on getting one of those new 7" Kindle Fire tablets instead. They are only $49, and you can get them with an optional $20 "kid proof" case that should offer it some extra protection.

They also have a $100 Kids Edition of this tablet, but all that seems to include is the same 7" Fire tablet and case with an extended 2 year warranty and some extra kids games. I'm not sure if that's really worth the extra $30, so I'm going to hold off on that for now.

That said, I'm still a bit concerned about this purchase. Amazon has a habit of locking you into their app and media stores on their Fire products, and the spec sheet on this tablet makes it look like it has a pretty crummy screen. But, hey, it's only $50, right? If it sucks, I only lost enough money to buy a good dinner.

One other thing that I noticed is that none of the big tech sites have a review for the new 2015 Kindle Fire. CNet has one, but I haven't seen anything from the likes of Anandtech or Engadget or The Verge. Amazon (naturally) has plenty of reviews of this tablet on their site, but I'm always a bit wary of those since the average review score is higher than what I saw from CNet. Something fishy might be going on here.

I'll attempt to remedy this shortage of good reviews by reviewing this tablet and case once it arrives in about a week. I'll make sure to take lots of pictures, and let you know how it handles the abuse from a rambunctious 2 year old and her Dad.

Cheers,
Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment