Saturday, October 24, 2015

The Tablet Has Arrived!

My daughter's new Kindle Fire arrived today. In came a fairly simple package like this:



"A Most Sensible Tablet", indeed. Inside was the tablet, a MicroUSB cable and AC charger, and... that's about it.

The tablet itself isn't much to look at. It's basically a black plastic slab, like most 7" Android tablets.

Here is what the back of it looks like:



I also noticed that the tablet is a bit thicker than my old Nexus 7. Since I'm going to put it in a huge kid proof case, that doesn't really bother me.

When I powered it on, it checked for updates and asked me to connect to my WiFi network. Then noticed that the tablet came pre-registered with my Amazon account (nice touch), and then asked me if I had any kids.

At that point, I saw my first ad. When setting up the account for my daughter, it asked me if I wanted to sign up for a 1 month trial of a service called FreeTime Unlimited. It looks like it comes with a bunch of free kids games and videos, and costs $4.99 a month. I decided to pass on this trial for now.

After setting up my profile, I then got hit with a second ad asking me if I wanted to sign up for a free trial of Amazon Prime. Tempting, but no thanks. Besides, I've been asked if I wanted to sign up for Prime at least a dozen times before from Amazon, and the answer is still no.




I've included a picture of the tablet below that shows what you'll see once you get to the lock screen.


I also included a picture of the tablet at the (Ad Sponsored) lock screen with the optional "Kid Proof" case installed. Game Of War... ugh. I hope that the ads get better from here on in. You can apparently get these ads to go away by contacting Amazon support and spending an extra $15.



The screen looks a bit dim when compared to my old Nexus 7, but it's usable.

I'll be putting this tablet through it's paces over the next few weeks, and will let you know what I think. So far, it seems like a nice piece of hardware with some somewhat annoying advertising on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment